Monday, May 23, 2011

Priorities or…

figuring out what comes first.

There are going to be times in your career when sacrifices will have to be made. Things that were important to you will have to take a back seat to this beast we call writing. It’s natural and expected, at least for the die hard writers. The trick, that none of us has mastered, is to know when to put writing first and when to put it on the backburner.

Around Christmas time, I had to take a break from writing. Actually, I’d taken it earlier, but it was official around that time. I just couldn’t writ anymore. It wasn’t fun, I wasn’t getting anything done and I’d started to hate myself for feeling that way. I had activities that I wanted to do, other crafts I wanted to get involved in, but I felt that I was cheating on my writing by doing them. The break helped me put things in perspective and find my center, or at least as close as I can come to it.

There is nothing wrong with saying that you need some you time. That you want to take a vacation and see the ocean. Don’t feel guilty because you don’t want to write anymore, that you don’t feel that spark. You may get it back, you may not, but forcing yourself to work at it until your eyes cross is not the way to make it work.

that is when setting priorities is important. You have to figure out what is important to you, what will make you happy and sane. Writing may be it, but so should family and friends and other activities. Don’t push them to the side because you think writing is all about writing and nothing else. You have to get inspiration from somewhere, right? How will you see it if you’re always at the computer, typing away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.