Monday, May 17, 2010

New Story

I have a few stories I’m working on at the moment, most of them close to completion. Okay, so I really only have two stories at the moment, but they take up a lot of my time, so it feels as if I have a lot. Right now, in critique with my wonderful partner Suzannah. Without whom I would be much less competent than I am right now with my writing.

The story in critique is departure for me, both in style and hero status. Normally, my heroes are very macho, very alpha. I like it, but sometimes, you want the loner; the one who doesn’t fit in with the crowd, who leans against the wall and watches. You know, the shy guy, the one who doesn’t really talk, but when he does, your knees melt and when he smiles…it’s over. The style is different in that the POV is going to be mostly his. I read romances and I love them. But there are times when I’d like to read what the hero is thinking, how he’s handling the situation. I know how the heroine is going to handle, usually when you read you are her and she is you. But for me, I wonder what the man is doing, how he’s taking a situation. So, that’s my basis for this story. She still gets to talk, but this is really his story, his love. Another departure is that it’s a short story. I go for novels. Books that consume you in their length and depth and drawing it out until you are begging for it to never end. Not this one. I wanted to get to the point and still have you wanting more. It’s how I roll.

There is no blurb for this book, but I’ll give you a little background. The story premise is that Alan, the hero is an immortal living in secret. He meets Josceline at work and falls for her, hard. Josceline feels the same way, but Alan’s got secrets and he can’t tell her. He wants to protect her, keep her safe from the past and what’s lurking there. Too late, he realizes that he can’t protect her, not from what’s coming and in the end, he might lose her anyway.

There, does that tease you? Make you want more? Certainly hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.