Monday, July 5, 2010

Critiquing
Definition: an article or essay criticizing a literary or other work; detailed evaluation; review.
2. a criticism or critical comment on some problem, subject, etc.
3. the art or practice of criticism.
–verb (used with object)
4. to review or analyze critically.

Is so much more than that just what the dictionary says it is. It’s also less than what the dictionary says. A lot of writers think that all you need to do is put pen to paper, go over your words later and your done. There is this inherent belief that you are your own worse/best editor and you don’t need outside help. I know this because I thought it at one time. Felt sure that I could do better work than someone I barely knew. I mean, this is my baby and I know what’s best.
I was wrong…very wrong.

I’m not saying that as a writer, you don’t know your work. You do…too well. A critique partner is that little voice in your head that says “What if…” they help you see the holes, the dropped plot lines, the character’s that just don’t…fit. They in essence make you question your work and see it from the reader’s point of view. Let’s be honest, the reader may not care about the back-story to your hero, the fact that you based it on you long lost love. They want the meat of the story, the grit, and the passion. If you’re stuck on the past and trying to explain every little detail, no one is going to pick it up. Except maybe me. I’m a stickler for details, but I assure, people like me are few and far between. A critique partner helps you figure out what works and what should either be tossed aside or left to the imagination. They may even give you some ideas on plot, how tie up the loose ends. Your cheerleading section if you will.

More than this though, a critique partner can become a friend, a companion in this crazy world we call publishing. ‘Cuz…it does get crazy out here. With contracts and failing publishing houses and people stealing your stories, you need an ally in your corner. Someone that gets this is your life and you need it to work. Not want, but need. You also need someone to bounce ideas off of, someone to tell you that the *werewolf story set in a future world of androids* may not be the best idea. Or if it is, how to do it so that’s original and cool, not kooky and…ugh. You get my drift.

It takes time though, to build this up. It does not happen overnight. You have to work at it as you do any other relationship. Being honest helps, but so does being sensitive, understanding that the story you’re reading is someone else’s baby, just as your story is yours and sometimes, people take criticism personally. You also have to be willing to say “This is not working for me. I think we should break up.” What is the point of working with someone that you don’t like, whose opinion you don’t trust or want? That is a waste of your time and theirs. You do need to be strong in yourself, knowing what you do and don’t want. I know that my critique partner and I have a long standing rule of just let it go. If it’s something either she or I feel strongly on, we leave it alone. Much like life, learn when to hold on, learn when to let go.

If you play your cards right, you and your critique partner can have a long lasting relationship, which can traverse just about anything.

*if this idea sells anywhere, I want in on it. Serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.