Monday, May 12, 2014

Character Inspiration…

To produce a mighty book, you must choose a mighty theme.
- Herman Melville

The inspiration for my characters in “Perfect Planning,” is not so much a person, but an event. A moment in time that changes the lives of everyone involved. When this moment happens, what do the participants do? How will this moment change them? Will they rise to the occasion or will they falter?

I wanted to see what could happen to all those involved and how they would deal with it. I needed to show how some would react to a change that is both monumental and every day in it’s simplicity. I also wanted to show the dark side of being unbendable, of not acknowledging that sometimes what you think, your beliefs, are wrong and if you don’t change, you run the risk of being left behind. I do touch on racism in this story, as it often comes up in interracial relationships. As much as we want to deny it, it happens and it hurts all those involved. I do put in a twist to this story, because racism is not always black and white, there are layers and hidden feelings that have to be explored and I needed this story to show it.

Perhaps, on a deeper level, this story does reflect some of my history in interracial dating and relationships. I can’t that I being some of the feelings and experiences to this story, but a true writer always does.

 

pink-flower-md

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.